Our mission and strategy
Our mission is to help people do more, feel better, live longer.
The business is focused around the delivery of three strategic priorities which aim to increase growth, reduce risk and improve our long-term financial performance. These priorities are: grow a diversified global business, deliver more products of value, and simplify the operating model.
Operating responsibly and ensuring our values are embedded in our culture and decision-making helps us better meet the expectations of society.
Grow a diversified business
We have been creating a more balanced business and product portfolio, capable of delivering sustainable sales growth. This is centred on our three business areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare.
In March 2015 we acquired Novartis’s vaccines business (excluding influenza vaccines) and combined our Consumer Healthcare businesses to create a new company.
- Successful launch and commercialization of new products from our pipeline
- Continue to invest in key growth businesses including Emerging Markets, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare
- Look for further opportunities to increase focus and optimize value of our product portfolio
Deliver more products of value
We have changed our R&D organization so that it is better able to sustain a pipeline of products that offer valuable improvements in treatment for patients and healthcare providers.
This is underpinned by a focus on improving productivity and rates of return in R&D.
- Potential to file up to 20 assets by 2020
- Around 40 new potential medicines and vaccines in our pipeline profiled at R&D event in November 2015
- 80% of which we believe are potentially first-in-class
- Of the 40 assets profiled:
- Up to 10 phase III starts in 2016/2017
- Up to 20 phase II starts in 2016/2017
Simplify the operating model
As our business continues to change shape, we are transforming how we operate so that we can reduce complexity and become more efficient.
This frees up resources to reinvest elsewhere in the business.
- Delivery of phase III data for six potential new medicines and vaccines and around ten NME phase III starts across 2014/2015
- Continued focus on increasing R&D rate of return
Being a responsible business is central to our strategy, and how we deliver success is just as important as what we achieve. Ensuring our values are embedded in our culture and decision-making helps us better meet the expectations of society.
- 82% Dow Jones Sustainability Index score for economic, environmental and social performance
- 100% markets operating our new commercial model