Investing In Innovation To Create 70 New Jobs And Protect 300 Jobs
09 June 2011
McGuinty Government Helps Biotech Company Drive Innovation In Mississauga
Ontario is helping GlaxoSmithKline Inc. – a world-leading research-based pharmaceutical company – attract new investment, create 70 new jobs and protect 300 existing jobs in Mississauga.
With the province's support GlaxoSmithKline Inc. will expand their state-of-the-art advanced manufacturing facility in Mississauga. This expansion will help bring new products to market and enable the global supply of the company's dermatological products such as creams, ointments, lotions, and foams – the first capability of its kind in Ontario.
Supporting made-in-Ontario technologies is part of Ontario's strategy to create the next generation of jobs and make innovation a driving force of economic growth, as set out in the 2011 Ontario Budget - Turning the Corner.
"We're pleased to support the expansion of GlaxoSmithKline's advanced pharmaceutical manufacturing, which is helping Ontario's economy turn the corner. GlaxoSmithKline's efforts to create a global centre of innovation here in Mississauga will create and protect hundreds of jobs for families." — Glen Murray, Minister of Research and Innovation
"Better healthcare and more jobs are priorities for the McGuinty government. In Mississauga, we are proud to have world-class companies like GlaxoSmithKline, partners that have called Ontario home for over 100 years, creating 70 jobs and protecting another 300 jobs to ensure vibrant local communities and a high quality of life." — Amrit Mangat, MPP for Mississauga-Brampton South
"Today's announcement reflects a shared commitment to biopharmaceutical innovation and advanced manufacturing by GSK and the Ontario government. I am proud of the role that GSK in Canada is playing in improving lives around the world, which is now enhanced as a result of this partnership." — Paul Lucas, President and CEO, GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
"This investment supports our place in the global network as a global supplier of foams, ointments, lotions, liquids and other niche products. It is a direct result of the strength of our Canadian manufacturing team that we are able to continue delivering products of value to our customers and patients around the world, enabling them to do more, feel better and live longer." — Sue West, Vice President, Global Manufacturing & Supply, GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
- Ontario is supporting the expansion of the state-of-the-art manufacturing facility with $3.6 million – GlaxoSmithKline Inc. is providing more than $30 million towards the project.
- Expansion of the Mississauga site will enable the production of COREG CR® (carvedilol tablets), RELENZA® (zanamivir dry powder inhalation) and new dermatological products.
- Ontario's biopharmaceutical sector is among our most research-intensive industries – investing more than a billion dollars in R&D and employing over 16,500 Ontarians in high-quality, good-paying jobs.
- GlaxoSmithKline Inc. currently employs over 1,150 people in Ontario.
- In 2010, Ontario attracted a total of 127 Foreign Direct Investment projects worth an estimated $6.1 billion (US) capital investment and the creation of more than 11,200 jobs
- In April, Ontario had an increase of 56,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declined to 7.9%
® COREG CR (carvedilol tablets) and RELENZA® (zanamivir dry powder inhalation) are registered trademarks used under license by GlaxoSmithKline Inc.